New insights to social challenges
Research can provide evidence-based insight into important subjects including:
- the risks and protective factors around child development
- the relationship between social mobility, economic activity and educational attainment
- the relationship between traffic density, availability of green space and crime levels
- the effect of parental mental health issues on their children
- the link between early-life social development and environmental background, and dementia risk
- the relationship between fuel poverty and ill health
- many more social, economic, environmental and health-related issues
Each of these may apply to a specific region. A researcher might want to look at health data in Northern Ireland, for example, or Welsh crime statistics, or compare regional, with national data.
The power of using administrative data to provide evidence around challenging social questions can be seen in the current research and has huge potential to benefit society.