The University of Southampton and University College London are signatories of the Manifesto for Public Engagement of the National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement (NCCPE). For this reason, "we are committed to sharing our knowledge,
We cared about new ways to engage in meaningful conversations with the public and to provide a hands-on experience for the most curious attendees at science festivals and conferences. Therefore we collaborated with our research scientists to develop exciting activities to learn about administrative data research.
The ADRC-E engagement portfolio of activities included:
- the Admin Data Tree: was ready to launch in 2018, it needed good skills to link 'fluffy' datasets to create your piece of research - in the shape of a bracelet!
- the Better Candies Benefit Society game: launched in 2017, it provided the 'sweetest' way to learn about
linkageof different datasets to benefit society
- the Admin Data Geo Challenge: launched in 2016, it required some maths to answer real geography questions that help in the understanding of society
- the Guess Who? Trump! quiz: launched in 2015, it gave a new twist in understanding data access for research in social sciences
We also supported knowledge about administrative data research and our Network centres by using different media to captivate our audiences.
Images: The ADRC-E storytelling with safety box and padlocks (left) and our 'Better - Knowledge - Benefits - Society' origami (right)
Meet the Public Engagement Team
ADRC-England had a dedicated Communications, Public Engagement and Events Manager, Silvia Lanati: firstname.lastname@example.org (currently on maternity leave)
Silvia has a PhD in Physiology and discovered her passion for public engagement whilst working in the laboratory as a cancer research scientist. In the past, she extensively volunteered with the Italian Red Cross and collaborated with Cancer Research UK. In the last years, she brought the international Pint of Science festival to Southampton and founded the regional SotComm+ Socials.
Silvia's role as public engagement manager for ADRC-England included developing public engagement strategies, producing innovative engagement activities, organising public engagement events, supporting researchers, facilitating networking and collaborations and promoting a culture of public engagement with research across the Centre.
In 2017 Silvia was nominated PERu Associate at the Public Engagement with Research unit (PERu) at the University of Southampton - UoS profile
Public Engagement events portfolio
In 2017 ADRC-England took part in a series of public engagement events:
- the ESRC Festival of Social Science - in collaboration with NCRM and CPC (Wed 8 and Thu 9 November)
- the British Science Association 'Future Debates' (Thursday 2 November)
- the Bloomsbury Festival - with the UCL Hub (Saturday 21 October)
- the Winchester Science Festival 2017 - with the UoS Roadshow (Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 July)
- the Cheltenham Science Festival 2017 - with the UoS Roadshow (Friday 9 and Saturday 10 June)
- the University of Southampton Science and Engineering Day 2017 (Saturday 18 March)
In 2016 ADRC-England took part in a series of public engagement events with the University of Southampton Roadshow, which brought ADRC-E to:
- the Winchester Science Festival (30 July)
- the Cheltenham Science Festival (10 June)
In 2015 we took part in:
- the Cheltenham Science Festival - with the University of Southampton Roadshow (4-5 June)
- the University of Southampton Science and Engineering Day 2015 (Saturday 14 March)
Images: Lisa at the Cheltenham Science Festival 2016 (left, photo courtesy of UoS Roadshow) and Claire at the Cheltenham Science Festival 2015 (right)
ADRC-E public engagement - Accolades
- November 2017: Silvia was awarded 'Research Communicator' at the University of Southampton Roadshow 2017 Awards ceremony.
- March 2017: 'Better Candies Benefit Society' was a runner up for the 'Creative Activity Design' award at the University of Southampton Science and Engineering Festival Awards ceremony.
- November 2015: 'Guess Who? Trump!' was awarded 'Creative Activity Design' at the University of Southampton Roadshow 2015 Awards ceremony.