The Approvals Panel made sure the process of granting access to sensitive, linked administrative data was fair, equitable and transparent. It assessed the projects on a number of criteria. Projects had to be be approved before the data custodians made the final decision on whether to share their data. The Panel met monthly to discuss and approve projects. We also publish the meeting minutes.
The panel consisted of:
- the chair: Professor Sir Ian Diamond, Principal and
Vice Chancellor, University of Aberdeen
- three representatives of data providers:
- Jane Naylor, Office for National Statistics
- Yee-Wan Yau, HM Revenue
- Steve Rose, Head of Strategic Research at Birmingham City Council
- two senior academics (with different primary research areas):
- Professor Richard Harris, Professor of Economics, Durham University
DrMichelle Morris, Leeds Institute for Data Analytics & Leeds Institute for Biomedical and Clinical Sciences, University of Leeds
- two lay members:
- William Mehaffy
- Denise Kazmierczak
The Director of the Administrative Data Service or their nominee
The Panel also referred specific questions to a group of independent experts who volunteered their knowledge in specialist areas.
There is a list of approved projects.
Summary information about any projects rejected by the Approvals Panel was published quarterly.Summary of rejected projects (47Kb)